This past Sunday I woke up and had this urge to go for a run. As the weather has been improving, the thought of reintroducing my afternoon runs has been bugging me – but I’ll admit, I have been afraid/discouraged because of the patellar tendonitis I developed after running my first marathon this past January :[. However, this past Sunday, even though the weather was crummy, I woke up and told myself “I am not going to be afraid anymore, I am going out for a run and I am going to love it!” So I did, and it was amazing :].
As I was running through my neighborhood in my awesome Lululemon outfit (“Hi my name is Sami, and I am a lulu addict” lol), I felt amazing, free, and was happy – just like I always felt when I used to go on runs (pre-marathon). I was so pumped, I even threw in some calisthenics. I threw in sprints, side steps, high knees and lunges with a knee raise. It was an amazing workout, and I felt like a million bucks after my workout (whoa Tony Horton is rubbing off on me lol).
Here is a breakdown of what I did, I recommend it to anyone who wants to add a nice twist to any run:
1. Warm-up (walk/slow jog) for 5 minutes
2. Run (medium intensity / race pace) for 10 minutes
3. 5 side steps each side X 3
4. 10 high knees and immediately sprint for about 10-20 yards (depending on your fitness level)
5. Jog (back to a slow jog to bring down your heart rate) for about 5-10 minutes
6. 20 lunges with a knee raise
7. Jog (back to a slow jog to bring down heart rate) for about 5 minutes
8. Repeat! Mix it up, throw in some push ups, have fun with it! :] Variety is key to a fun workout!
In good health,
P.S. I felt no knee pain whatsoever during this run/workout. I am happy to announce that I am going to add running back into my life :]. My goal is to sign up for a half marathon this year (would be #7), and continue to run half marathons until my body says enough :].